Do you want to be a fit mom? but you aren't sure where to start? Are you finding it hard to make it a priority? Or are you feeling so exhausted that you can't even think about working out?
The good news is that I have been through it all and exhaustion and lack of time are definitely still very real in my life. I still have days where I am exhausted (14 weeks pregnant with my second and a 1 year old means I usually am so tired I don't know which way is up haha). BUT I know that I feel SO much better when I am active. It allows me to release some stress, increase my body confidence, help me sleep better and be a better mom. I find if I have taken 15 minutes to an hour to exercise I can handle the day… with a coffee of course!!
Many clients, friends and followers ask me what the secrets are to being a fit mom, and honestly its not magic, its no secret pills, its about starting and being consistent. My top 'tips' are below:
1. Be realistic with your fitness starting level post baby (or at any time of your life!), accept whatever level you are at and start there, whether that is daily walks with 3x10 squats and pushups or more advanced workouts. If you start easy you can always ramp it up without working out so hard that you can't walk or chase your cute babies around.
2. All movement counts! Walking, stairs, body weight exercises, workout classes, chasing toddlers. Try to move as much as you can.
3. Make time. Make it a priority whether its 15 minutes or 45. Plan for 3-5 workouts a week and schedule which days they are on.
4. Multi-task. We are mamas which means we have babies to tend to, but they can be part of your workout. If they are having play time with toys, set your tabata timer and get a 20 minute workout in, pop them in the stroller with snacks and off you go, utilize nap time for a workout and a shower.
5. No excuses. Yes, I know, not every nights sleep is great with young kid lets, us moms are tired, we are busy, laundry needs to get done and endless things to do BUT make your workout a priority. 30 minutes is not a lot of time in your day and it will transform how productive you are and how you feel about yourself. Just do it. Make your fitness and healthy a priority and your little ones will grow up seeing you as a role model.
6. Make it fun. Listen to upbeat music, sing to your baby, dance during your rest period, get together with friends. If your working out within your current fitness abilities you'll enjoy working out!
7. Be consistent. It's pretty simple really, be consistent with your workouts 3-5 a week for 3 months and then 3 more and then 3 more and next thing you know your almost a year into a healthy fit life! Focus on small weekly fitness wins and keep at it!
You got this ladies! Get those workouts in, be happy, confident and enjoy being a fit mama!